Woodbine Entertainment announced on Tuesday (Jan. 11) that the 2021 Standardbred racing season at Woodbine Mohawk Park produced an all-sources handle of $324,038,371.56, the highest total by any Standardbred track in North America in 2021.
For the second consecutive year, the COVID-19 pandemic impacted the number of race dates at Woodbine Mohawk Park, with only 157 cards of an originally scheduled 223 contested. The 157 race dates were 21 less than the 178 cards completed in 2020.
Despite a pair of government-enforced stoppages, Woodbine Mohawk Park continued strong as one of the industry leaders with the average nightly handle topping $2 million for a second consecutive season at $2,063,938.67, a $40,749.86 increase from 2020.
The per-race handle for the 1,693 races contested in 2021 was $191,398.92.
“To see wagering remain steady and increase throughout these uncertain times has been a great reflection of the strength of the Woodbine brand and our Standardbred racing product,” said Jim Lawson, CEO of Woodbine Entertainment. “As a year-round racing product, we focus on consistency and see many encouraging signs to continue our success and growth in 2022.”
The Woodbine brand continued to garner recognition across North America, with foreign wagering representing $235,451,948.26 of the 2021 all-sources handle. Home Market wagering remained steady in 2021 at $62,568,269.10.
Key highlights of 2021 include:
• Nightly handle tops $2 million for second consecutive season
• Pepsi North America Cup card generates $5.1 million handle
• Canadian Trotting Classic card handle of $3.1 million helps push Woodbine Entertainment to $30 million weekend
• Early Pick-5 remains largest nightly wager in Standardbred racing with average pool of $123,000 in 2021, up from $120,000 in 2020
• Jackpot Hi-5 mandatory payout on December 23 generates $1.4 million in “new money” as part of $4 million handle
The 2022 Standardbred racing season at Woodbine Mohawk Park launched on January 1 and will feature 223 race dates.
Live racing continues every Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Post time is 7 p.m.
(With files from Woodbine)